Application Information

Academic Calendar and Deadlines

Fall Semester: 01.09. – 28.02.

Nomination by the university: from 15th February to 15th May
Application deadline for nominated students/submission of the relevant documents: 31st May

Beginning of September: Obligatory orientation period including German course for beginners.
Lecture period: 01.10. – 31.12. (end of lectures usually before Christmas)
Extension of stay: 01.01. – 28.02. (departure flexible, e. g. if students have found an internship)

Spring Semester: 01.03. – 31.08.

Nomination by the university: from 1st September to 1st November
Application deadline for nominated students/submission of the relevant documents: 15th November

Beginning of March: Obligatory orientation period including German course for beginners.
Lecture period: 01.04. – 30.06.
Extension of stay: 01.07. – 31.08. (departure flexible, e. g. if students have found an internship)

Admission Requirements

Please note that all foreign exchange students must choose courses that mount up to at least 15 ECTS per semester.

Language Requirements

English or German B2

Documents required:

  • Application form
  • List of courses at DHBW Karlsruhe
  • DAAD language certificate or other accepted proof of language proficiency (see Language Requirements)
  • Enrollment certificate of home university
  • Copy of passport
  • Proof of funding (EUR 853,- per month of stay) for non-European students only

    For EU students:
  • Copy of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

    For non-EU students:
  • Proof of German health insurance (information will be provided by the International Office)

General information about visa can be found here:

According to the EU Directive 2016/801/EU, easier EU mobility conditions apply for persons with a valid residence permit for study purposes issued by another EU Member State. The Directive has not been implemented in Denmark, the United Kingdom and Ireland and therefore does not apply in these countries or for residence permit for study purposes issued by these countries.

Persons with residence permits for study purposes issued by all other EU Member States do not have to apply for a residence permit in Germany, if their stay in Germany does not exceed 360 days and if a university in Germany has submitted a prior notification of student’s intended stay in Germany for study purposes to the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) in advance (sec. 16c Residence Act). Information on implementation of the EU Directive in each EU country can be found here.

Information on the procedure is available on the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.

The application form is available here.

In order to file for the notification, the following requirements must be fulfilled and required documents must be submitted:

  1. A residence permit for the purpose of studying according to the EU Directive 2016/801/EU, issued by another EU Member State. The residence permit must be valid for the entire duration of the planned stay in Germany.
  2. Proof of admission to an EU study program, a multilateral study program or a program according to an agreement between at least two universities
  3. A valid admission from a German university
  4. Proof of identity (e.g. passport)
  5. Proof that the applicant’s livelihood is secured for the period of stay in Germany, and proof of sufficient health insurance. Possibilities to prove a secured livelihood:
  • Blocked account with at least 10.236 euros annually (5.118€ per half-year), monthly withdrawals cannot exceed 853€.
  • Declaration of commitment of friends or family living in Germany
  • Scholarship

According to the Directive 2016/801/EU, the university should  submit the notification to BAMF at the time the residence title is applied for in the other EU member state. If the university receives the information about the planned stay for study purposes in Germany only at a later time, the BAMF must be notified immediately, at latest 30 days before the planned entry.

The BAMF issues a certificate for the student confirming the authorization to enter and stay in Germany according to the mobility arrangement for the purpose of studying. This certificate can also be sent to the host university in Germany.

The student is permitted to work for up to one third of the time of residence in Germany, and to take up spare-time student employment (sec. 16a para. 2 Residence Act).

After the certificate has been issued or after a rejection, the local immigration office is responsible for all questions about residence permit. The university as well as the student are obligated to immediately report all changes regarding the requirements mentioned above to the corresponding immigration office. (sec. 16c para. 5 no. 2 Residence Act). The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees is responsible for mobility extensions within the scope of the course.

After successful completion of studies at a German university, a residence title for the purpose of job-seeking can be granted for up to 18 months by the local immigration office (sec. 20 para. 3 no. 1 Residence Act).

The corresponding immigration office can be found here.

Please note:

The here represented information is a general service offer. The local immigration offices are solely responsible for general residency matters. The department 72A of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees is responsible for issues regarding student mobility according to sec. 16c of the Residence Act.

Especially for questions regarding required documents, please contact the corresponding authority. 


Scholarships of the "Baden-Wuerttemberg Foundation"

The Baden-Wuerttemberg Foundation grants scholarships for one or two semesters abroad for foreign students coming to Germany. Successful applicants receive a monthly allowance as a scholarship.

Deadline for the application is 31st of March (fall semester) and 15th of November (spring semester) for studying a semester at our university in the following academic year.

All students selected for a scholarship are obliged to obtain 15 ECTS as a minimum during their studies at DHBW Karlsruhe. In case of failure of performance, the scholarship has to be repaid.

For a complete application the following documents have to be submitted:

We are pleased to be able to offer very well-qualified international students from our partner universities a scholarship from the Baden-Württemberg Foundation. The students are nominated for a scholarship by their home universities. After DHBW Karlsruhe has agreed on the funding, the foundation makes the final decision. Students are normally informed three months before the start of the semester whether they will receive a scholarship.

  • Statement of Motivation (Why do you wish to come to Germany and our university?)
  • CV
  • Letter of Recommendation
  • Transcripts of Records
  • Language Certificate about knowledge in German OR English

Please send your application to: